Developer with 20+ years of experience specialized in scalability and DevOps, invested in helping teams become top performers. I have participated in most stages of tech startups, including founding, hypergrowth, scale-up and acquisition.
Location: currently residing in Madrid, Spain.
2022-09 to present: Cofounder and CTO at Ntrde
Co-founded NTRDE with two business partners, a decision intelligence solution for chemical trading.
- Took an early prototype and converted it into an enterprise-ready solution.
- Single-handedly developed and refined several major features, including a full redesign.
- Did product design for two ongoing pilots with customers.
2021-01 to 2022-06: CTO at Hivency
In 2021 I joined Hivency, a French influencer marketing company.
- Led a team of French and Spanish professionals, helping them evolve the best solution in influencer marketing worldwide.
- Reorganized the team to work in squads and improved internal practices.
- Secured a successful multi-million acquisition process by a French group.
2020-02 to 2020-12: Freelancer
In 2020 I collaborated full time with LeanMind optimizing a system that generated invoices for 1M+ customers. We reduced running time of the invoicing system from a full week to about four hours.
Since 2012 I have worked sporadically as a freelancer, mostly doing backend development in Node.js, and have specialized in the areas of DevOps and scalability. Customers include: Grupo Inditex, M&C Saatchi, TUI Group, and a few other smaller companies.
2017-10 to 2019-03: Backend Engineer at Devo
I joined Devo in the middle of an impressive international expansion.
- Wrote very demanding Node.js code for data ingestion, supporting peaks of 3.5 million events per second.
- Wrote a patch that was included in the Node.js core, and which resulted in a 2x speedup in secure socket communications.
- Helped keep developer environments up and running.
2013-01 to 2017-09: Backend Lead at mediasmart.io
Led the backend team at mediasmart.io, a mobile adtech company. During this period of hypergrowth the company went from 50k€ to 10M€ in revenue.
- Led the redesign that allowed us to go from processing two thousand requests per second to just under a million requests per second in little more than four years.
- Successfully competed at an international level both in price and in features.
- Designed the selection process used for all new recruits.
- Built a SRE platform that fully automated deployments, server provisioning, monitoring and much more.
2007-07 to 2011-08: Project Manager at ING Direct Spain
I coordinated a group of up to 15 developers.
- Technical responsible for financial cards.
- Led development for internal projects (such as HalCash) in record time.
- Ensured performance of card operations during peak transaction days.
2001-08 to 2005-03: Analyst at Ibermática, SA
I worked at the Applied Research department managing and developing European projects for the Fifth and Sixth Framework Programmes.
- Created an intelligent agent platform in Java that was reused for several projects.
- Technical lead for InfoCitizen, an European project for sharing census documentation across Europe.
- Attended several conferences and presented European projects in academic circles.
I have also collaborated with a few initiatives as a volunteer.
Open Source Projects
I have extensive experience as a public speaker, including conferences in many European countries.
I greatly enjoy teaching and learning, and have often been involved with the education sector.
I graduated in Physics at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
- Designed and run my own course on scalability.
Last edited on 2023-08-08.
Back to the index.